African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth

Felicia O. Akinyemi, Jean Marie Nzakamwita

    Research output: Contribution to conferencePaper

    Abstract

    Urban growth can have positive effects if well managed or negative impacts in instances of uncontrolled urban expansion. Often, land management regulations are employed in urban areas to ensure that land is efficiently planned and managed to achieve sustainable land management. This study examines the changing landscape of Kabuga town, Rwanda due to land use conversion. Data
    was obtained from 107 respondents and interviews with the local authorities in charge of urban planning. Variables examined include migration, the means of acquiring land, land use (initial use of land and current use of land) while driving factors of land use conversion were also identified. The challenges of urban growth in Kabuga and the implications for proper land management are
    examined. Results reveal that 6% of the population lived in Kabuga before 1994 and the remaining 94% are migrants; 55% came within the period 1994-2005, 29% came during 2006-2012 and 10% came after 2012 implying that residents are predominantly migrants. The analysis finds evidence of diminishing agricultural and forested land and vacant lands in favour of residential area and
    commercial activities due to influx of people. Major impacts of this changing environment in Kabuga town are overcrowding, pollution and loss of green spaces.
    Original languageEnglish
    Number of pages14
    Publication statusPublished - 2014
    EventAfricaGeo Conference: Developing Geomatics for Africa - Cape Town, South Africa
    Duration: Jul 1 2014Jul 3 2014
    http://www.africageoproceedings.org.za/

    Conference

    ConferenceAfricaGeo Conference
    CountrySouth Africa
    CityCape Town
    Period7/1/147/3/14
    Internet address

    Fingerprint

    small town
    urban growth
    land management
    land use
    overcrowding
    urban planning
    urban area
    land
    pollution

    Cite this

    Akinyemi, F. O., & Nzakamwita, J. M. (2014). African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth. Paper presented at AfricaGeo Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.
    Akinyemi, Felicia O. ; Nzakamwita, Jean Marie. / African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth. Paper presented at AfricaGeo Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.14 p.
    @conference{cf41f7350acf45268f815d0441869f3d,
    title = "African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth",
    abstract = "Urban growth can have positive effects if well managed or negative impacts in instances of uncontrolled urban expansion. Often, land management regulations are employed in urban areas to ensure that land is efficiently planned and managed to achieve sustainable land management. This study examines the changing landscape of Kabuga town, Rwanda due to land use conversion. Datawas obtained from 107 respondents and interviews with the local authorities in charge of urban planning. Variables examined include migration, the means of acquiring land, land use (initial use of land and current use of land) while driving factors of land use conversion were also identified. The challenges of urban growth in Kabuga and the implications for proper land management areexamined. Results reveal that 6{\%} of the population lived in Kabuga before 1994 and the remaining 94{\%} are migrants; 55{\%} came within the period 1994-2005, 29{\%} came during 2006-2012 and 10{\%} came after 2012 implying that residents are predominantly migrants. The analysis finds evidence of diminishing agricultural and forested land and vacant lands in favour of residential area andcommercial activities due to influx of people. Major impacts of this changing environment in Kabuga town are overcrowding, pollution and loss of green spaces.",
    author = "Akinyemi, {Felicia O.} and Nzakamwita, {Jean Marie}",
    year = "2014",
    language = "English",
    note = "AfricaGeo Conference : Developing Geomatics for Africa ; Conference date: 01-07-2014 Through 03-07-2014",
    url = "http://www.africageoproceedings.org.za/",

    }

    Akinyemi, FO & Nzakamwita, JM 2014, 'African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth' Paper presented at AfricaGeo Conference, Cape Town, South Africa, 7/1/14 - 7/3/14, .

    African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth. / Akinyemi, Felicia O.; Nzakamwita, Jean Marie.

    2014. Paper presented at AfricaGeo Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.

    Research output: Contribution to conferencePaper

    TY - CONF

    T1 - African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth

    AU - Akinyemi, Felicia O.

    AU - Nzakamwita, Jean Marie

    PY - 2014

    Y1 - 2014

    N2 - Urban growth can have positive effects if well managed or negative impacts in instances of uncontrolled urban expansion. Often, land management regulations are employed in urban areas to ensure that land is efficiently planned and managed to achieve sustainable land management. This study examines the changing landscape of Kabuga town, Rwanda due to land use conversion. Datawas obtained from 107 respondents and interviews with the local authorities in charge of urban planning. Variables examined include migration, the means of acquiring land, land use (initial use of land and current use of land) while driving factors of land use conversion were also identified. The challenges of urban growth in Kabuga and the implications for proper land management areexamined. Results reveal that 6% of the population lived in Kabuga before 1994 and the remaining 94% are migrants; 55% came within the period 1994-2005, 29% came during 2006-2012 and 10% came after 2012 implying that residents are predominantly migrants. The analysis finds evidence of diminishing agricultural and forested land and vacant lands in favour of residential area andcommercial activities due to influx of people. Major impacts of this changing environment in Kabuga town are overcrowding, pollution and loss of green spaces.

    AB - Urban growth can have positive effects if well managed or negative impacts in instances of uncontrolled urban expansion. Often, land management regulations are employed in urban areas to ensure that land is efficiently planned and managed to achieve sustainable land management. This study examines the changing landscape of Kabuga town, Rwanda due to land use conversion. Datawas obtained from 107 respondents and interviews with the local authorities in charge of urban planning. Variables examined include migration, the means of acquiring land, land use (initial use of land and current use of land) while driving factors of land use conversion were also identified. The challenges of urban growth in Kabuga and the implications for proper land management areexamined. Results reveal that 6% of the population lived in Kabuga before 1994 and the remaining 94% are migrants; 55% came within the period 1994-2005, 29% came during 2006-2012 and 10% came after 2012 implying that residents are predominantly migrants. The analysis finds evidence of diminishing agricultural and forested land and vacant lands in favour of residential area andcommercial activities due to influx of people. Major impacts of this changing environment in Kabuga town are overcrowding, pollution and loss of green spaces.

    M3 - Paper

    ER -

    Akinyemi FO, Nzakamwita JM. African emerging small towns: Assessing the changing environment due to urban growth. 2014. Paper presented at AfricaGeo Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.